November 2-8, 2014 is national Animal Shelter Appreciation Week. Here at the Peoria Humane Society we like to celebrate by taking time out to give thanks to those that work first hand with the helpless animals in our community. Every year we hold a luncheon for all the animal shelter staff in honor of the hard work that they put in throughout the year. Their job is not easy and is often pretty thankless. This year's luncheon featured a delicious buffet catered by Bernardi's. The chocolate truffles were an especially big hit!
If you are wondering what you could do to celebrate Animal Shelter Appreciation week, here are some suggestions from the Humane Society of the United States:
- Share your love - tell the world how you feel about your local shelter or rescue through social media.
- Get to know your local shelters and rescue groups - you might be surprised how many actually exist in your area.
- Say "thanks!" - Take a minute to express your gratitude to the people who work at your local shelter. If you've adopted from them, show them how well the pet is doing via letter, e-mail, or social media.
- Get crafty - Make toys for the pets in local shelters.
- Become a fan - "like" the Shelter Pet Project on Facebook as well as individual groups in your community.
- Volunteer - even if you can't adopt you can still get involved!
- Help at your own home - make the jobs of shelters and rescuers easier by outfitting your dogs and cats with proper ID, have them spayed or neutered, and keep them safely on a leash.